Today, Dekani is a large settlement by the Koper – Kozina road. Dekani was first mentioned in written sources dating back to 1229; according to the archaeological findings, however, the area was populated already in Roman times. The name of the village allegedly comes from that of the Italian noble family of De Cani, which is also corroborated by the year 1479 carved in the family’s coat of arms.
Dating from the same century is also the Gothic village Church of Mary’s Assumption, with the paintings by Tone Kralj; the bell tower was constructed in 1841. In the second half of the 19th century, the village became a strong centre of the cultural and educational activities inspired by the Slovenian national movement. The Dekani area abounds in natural riches: the hills above the village are covered with numerous olive groves and orchards. On the Rižana River below, as many as ten mills used to operate.
Savjeti za slobodno vrijeme Dekani
Mestna občina Koper
Verdijeva ulica 10, SI-6000 Koper
- +386 5 6646100
- +386 5 6271602
- Početna stranica